This page contains information on the suburb of Hamersley including it's historical significance and community and residential development.
Named after the family that settled in the area after arriving at the Swan River Colony in 1837, the low-lying areas within Hamersley were used for market gardening during the early years and the remaining land was largely undeveloped.
First owned by Edward Hamersley who, after his death, passed the land on to his son Samuel, major residential growth in Hamersley did not occur until more than 100 years later.
It occurred in two stages:
- The western section was subdivided and developed in the early 1970s
- The eastern portion was subdivided later in the decade and continued into the 1980s.
Hamersley was the first suburb in the region to be guided by the principles of cul-de-sac design, which later formed the basis for other subdivisions within the northern corridor.
The suburb is characterised by modern, single residential dwellings and duplex developments and the majority of homes within Hamersley are built from brick and tile with an average lot size of 750m2.
As the first area to be developed, the western section of the suburb is dominated by single-storey residential dwellings, originating from the 1970s. Eastern Hamersley contains more recent developments, a large proportion of which have 2 storeys.
There are numerous pockets of open space scattered throughout Hamersley, such as the Eglinton Aintree Reserve, which is centrally located and provides the suburb with a community recreation centre.
A small commercial strip along Erindale Road serves local shopping needs and two primary schools provide education requirements.
The ABC radio tower between Wanneroo and Erindale Roads is a significant landmark, transmitting 720 6WF across the metropolitan area.