Originally named "Joondanna Heights", subdivision of the suburb of Joondanna saw rapid development in the late 1940s and early 1950s, and by 1958 little vacant land was available.
"Joondanna Heights" was originally selected as the name for this suburb, in a competition organised by the City of Stirling's predecessor, the Perth Road Board. In 1954 the name was shortened to Joondanna, which is believed to have been the name of a farm owned by early settler Mark Banks in what is now Osborne Park.
Land at Joondanna was first granted to T. R. C. Walters in 1840, however little development occurred until after World War II. Subdivision of Joondanna commenced in 1939, and the late 1940s and early 1950s saw rapid development, to the extent that by 1958 little vacant land was available.
Until recent years, single detached houses dominated Joondanna. However, many of the old timber-framed workers' houses from the 1940s and 1950s have been removed to make way for new developments. This has resulted in the construction of numerous units in Joondanna, although single detached dwellings still remain the dominant form of housing in the suburb.
Joondanna contains a number of small shops to cater for daily grocery needs. The largest park within the region surrounds the water tower on Roberts Street and Albert James Park also provides for passive recreation. Joondanna also contains a primary school and a home for seniors.
The water tower located on Roberts Street is a significant element of the landscape and is highly visible from surrounding areas. The well-landscaped section of Wanneroo Road that borders the eastern sector of Joondanna provides an attractive gateway to the area.