The City of Stirling is committed to ensuring that all video content is accessible and aims to meet the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) to level AA wherever possible.
The City ensures that all videos uploaded to YouTube are transcribed. However, as YouTube is a third-party product, technical issues may occur that are out of our control, such as links and headings that are either empty or nonsensical.
This website allows full tab-based navigation:
- When you hold down on the menu item or hyperlink, press enter to activate
- Hold down the shift and tab keys to reverse the tab cycle
- At the top of each page there are options to skip to various areas of the page. This is to assist users of screen readers and those who are zooming in to view the website.
Text on this site can be resized by:
- Using the zoom and increase font options from your browser’s menu
- Pressing ctrl key (Microsoft Windows) or the Apple key (Mac OS) on your keyboard and using the + or – to zoom in or out
- Pressing ctrl on your keyboard and scrolling with your mouse wheel.
Wherever possible, hyperlinks contain descriptions of information found in the link’s destination. All internal links will open in the same window to improve usability for those with vision impairment. However, documents with external links will open in a new tab.
The City has made every effort to ensure that our website is easy to read, by using plain English, and ensuring its design does not interfere with usability or readability.
Cascading style sheets (CSS) are used to format page content on this site. This allows keyboard-only users to disable the formatting provided and apply their own formatting. Style sheets are disabled within an internet browser's settings or preference options.
If you use assistive software such as Job Access with Speech (JAWS) or NonVisual Desktop Access (NVDA), you can use features to:
- Present link lists
- Present headings
- Shift the focus directly to tables and lists in a page.
For those with vision impairments, we have endeavoured to maximise the ability to use a screen reader with this website. Visitors using recent versions of screen readers can navigate using the following keystrokes:
- H to navigate forwards through the headings
- Shift + H to navigate backwards through the headings
- 1 to navigate to the next level 1 heading (or a number between 1 and 6 to navigate to the next heading on this level)
- Shift + 1 to navigate to the previous level 1 heading (or a number between 1 and 6 to navigate to the previous heading on this level)
- Insert + F6 to provide a list of all headings.
- Tab key to proceed through the links or shift + tab to cycle backwards through the links
- Insert + F7 to provide a list of all links.
Using JAWS® Versions 10-12, you can use the keyboard navigation in virtual mode:
- ; (semicolon) for next landmark
- Shift + ; (semicolon) for previous landmark
- Ctrl + insert + ; (semicolon) for a list of landmarks
Using NVDA 2011.2 the landmark keyboard combination in virtual buffer mode:
- D for next landmark
- Shift + D for previous landmark.
Using NVDA + F7VoiceOver you can navigate a page via landmarks by:
- Choosing landmarks in the web rotor, then finger flicking up or down to move to the next or previous landmark.