Possibly named after a Norwegian ship, the suburb of Inglewood has a high heritage value, with numerous places of cultural and historical significance.
With a name thought to have been derived from the Norwegian barque Inglewood (its voyage was mentioned in The West Australian on May 24, 1904), the suburb of Inglewood began when land was first granted to John Gregory in 1831.
Regarded as part of Maylands in the early years, Inglewood was initially developed by a company called Gold Estates of Australia and a section now referred to as The Avenues was the first to be subdivided. This development included area from the railway line to North Street and eventually through to Eleventh Avenue and Dundas Road; the latter subdivision was named Inglewood Estate.
Inglewood has experienced 2 distinct booms in residential growth:
- Between 1904 and 1920, single residential housing was built to accommodate the blue-collar population
- Around World War Two between 1935 and 1940, more development occurred
The majority of residences in Inglewood are of pre-war vintage (many are of a Federation or Californian bungalow style) and towards Mount Lawley area, a typical lot size is 730 m2, increasing to up to 1400 m2 east of Beaufort Street.
Inglewood has a high heritage value, with numerous places of cultural and historical significance, and many of the older dwellings have been renovated and restored to their original styles. In addition to character housing, there are 1960s flats and modern unit developments scattered throughout the suburb.
The main commercial area within Inglewood is centred on Beaufort Street and contains retail services, a library and a recreation centre and there are several small shops that cater for daily needs.
Inglewood contains many recreational facilities, including the Stirling Leisure Centres - Terry Tyzack Aquatic Centre, Inglewood, Mount Lawley Golf Course and Macaulay Park, and there are facilities to play tennis and soccer, as well as bocce. Inglewood Primary School meets the educational needs for younger students while the Home of Peace provides services for elderly residents.
Significant landmarks include the prominent clock tower on the corner of Beaufort Street and Dundas Road, highly visible to northbound traffic along Beaufort Street, and the Inglewood Civic Centre, opened in 1991, incorporating the local library, an autumn centre and children's centre.