Dog parks and beaches
Dogs are permitted on-leash in most public places, unless otherwise sign posted. You can exercise your dog without a leash at most of the City’s parks and reserves, providing the dog is under effective control at all times.
Exercising your dog
On-leash exercise areas
All dogs must be kept on a leash at the following reserves:
- Albert James Reserve, Joondanna
- Herdsman Lake Regional Reserve
- Scarborough Beach Reserve, Scarborough
- Star Swamp Reserve, North Beach
- Stirling Civic Gardens, Stirling.
Enclosed dog parks
The City has a dedicated dog parks at:
Did you know?
Dogs are not permitted within five metres of playgrounds, or sports grounds when a game is underway.
- Peasholm Street dog beach, Scarborough
- Trigg Beach (between Kathleen and Bennion streets only)
- North Beach (between Castle and Margaret streets only).
Dogs are prohibited at all other beach and coastal reserve areas.
Cleaning up after your dog
For the health and cleanliness of our community, dog owners are required to pick up after their dog. It is an offence to leave droppings behind and on-the-spot $100 penalties apply.
The City encourages owners to bring a biodegradable bag for the disposal of dog excreta. Designated bins and pooch-pouch dispenser points are also located in most reserves throughout the City.
To request the replenishment of pooch-pouch dispensers, or to report an overfull bin at a reserve, please phone our Customer Contact Centre.