Citizenship ceremonies

The City of Stirling holds regular citizenship ceremonies in the City's Reception Hall.

If you have been a resident of Australia for the last four years, you may be able to apply for citizenship. For information on eligibility and how to apply, please visit the Department of Home Affairs website.

Citizenship ceremonies - FAQ's

When and where are citizenship ceremonies held?

The City of Stirling holds regular citizenship ceremonies in the City’s Reception Hall. Registration opens at 5.30pm, and the ceremony starts at 6.30pm. Guests are asked to arrive at least 15 minutes before start time. Ceremonies usually finish between 7.30pm and 8.00pm, after which refreshments are served in the lobby.

How can I find out when my citizenship ceremony will be?

The City of Stirling is unable to provide a ceremony date until we receive notification from the Department of Home Affairs that you have been approved for citizenship. Once the City receives this notification, you will be booked in for the next available ceremony. Please note, the City is advised of your approval approximately three weeks after you have received your approval letter.

What is the waiting time for a ceremony?

The waiting period for a citizenship ceremony is approximately three to six months after you have received your approval letter from the Department of Home Affairs.

When will I receive notification confirming my ceremony?

The City of Stirling will email an invitation to you approximately two to four weeks before your ceremony date.

Do I need to bring anything to the ceremony?

Yes. Recipients aged 16 years or older must bring photographic identification such as a driver's licence or passport. We suggest that you also bring your invitation to help with the registration process.

Will I receive my certificate at the ceremony?

In most cases, recipients are presented with their Australian Citizenship Certificate upon taking their pledge. If your certificate is not available, the Department of Home Affairs will post it to you.

Do children need to attend citizenship ceremonies?

Children aged 16 years and over are legally required to attend their citizenship ceremony and take the citizenship pledge to become an Australian citizen. Children under the age of 16 are not legally required to take the citizenship pledge. However, the City allocates a seat for them, and they are encouraged to take the citizenship pledge where possible.

What is the difference between pledge one and pledge two?

There are two variations of the citizenship pledge:

  • The Oath pledge which refers to God
  • The Affirmation pledge which does not.

How many guests can I bring to the ceremony?

The City of Stirling allows two guests per recipient. On occasion, additional guests may be accommodated. For more information, please phone our Contact Centre on (08) 9205 8555.

What is the dress code for the ceremony?

There is no strict dress code for citizenship ceremonies. However, smart casual is recommended. Recipients often like to wear their traditional dress adding a wonderful element to our ceremonies.

Does the City provide a photographer at these ceremonies?

The City of Stirling does not provide a photographer at its citizenship ceremonies. However, recipients and guests are invited to bring their cameras along and are welcome to take photos. The presiding member will also be available for photographs, following the ceremony.

Is it possible to arrange a ceremony earlier than the standard waiting time?

In exceptional circumstances, a private ceremony may be arranged with the Department of Home Affairs. For more information, please phone the Department of Home Affairs on 13 18 80.

Does the City accept citizenship recipients from outside the City of Stirling?

Unfortunately, the City cannot accept recipients from outside its boundaries, due to the large number of pending recipients from within the City of Stirling.

I have lost my citizenship certificate, what should I do?

If you have lost your citizenship certificate, you will need to fill in form 119 - application for evidence of Australian citizenship from the Home Affairs website alternatively you can contact Home Affairs via phone 131 880.

The City of Stirling cannot issue or replace citizenship certificates.