Rats are present in most cities and suburban areas due to the many opportunities for food and shelter.
To prevent rats on your property:
- Remove fruit and nuts from trees or vines
- Keep pet food dishes clean and store pet food supplies securely in sealed containers
- Prune overgrown shrubs and long grass regularly
- Store firewood away from sheds and fences, and keep it at least 40cm off the ground
- Ensure that potential access points to buildings are blocked
- Keep waste bins and compost containers clean and well maintained.
How to eradicate rats
Poison baits are the most successful method of destroying rats and can be bought in most retail shops. Please read the safety instructions carefully and keep all baits out of reach of children, pets and wildlife.
The City can also supply 2-4 sachets of rat bait to ratepayers at no cost. Please visit the City's Administration Centre at 25 Cedric Street, Stirling to collect your sachets.