Rats are present in most cities and suburban areas due to the many opportunities for food and shelter.
To prevent rats on your property:
- Remove fruit and nuts from trees or vines
- Keep pet food dishes clean and store pet food supplies securely in sealed containers
- Prune overgrown shrubs and long grass regularly
- Store firewood away from sheds and fences, and keep it at least 40cm off the ground
- Ensure that potential access points to buildings are blocked
- Keep waste bins and compost containers clean and well maintained.
How to eradicate rats
Rat poisons have been found to negatively affect native fauna and have directly contributed to the decline of our native Boobook Owls. There are several modern 'wildlife friendly' traps available in most garden retail shops. The City recommends that traps are supplemented with the following control methods:
- Not leaving leftover pet food outdoors
- Ensuring rubbish bins are securely closed
- Keeping gardens and sheds tidy to prevent nesting and hiding places
- Removing Palm trees which provide a favourite food source and nest for rats.
For more information please contact the City's Natural Areas Conservation team on (08) 9205 8555.