Like the small island off the coast of this area, the suburb of Trigg was named after Henry Trigg, who was appointed Superintendent of Public Works for the Swan River Colony in 1842.
Land at Trigg remained largely vacant until the first grants were taken up in 1877. In 1888 a group of Sydney developers devised a scheme to divide a large area of Trigg into one-eighth-of-an-acre (505 m²) lots, however the scheme failed. By 1919 there were only 3 buildings in the locality, and holiday and fishing shacks did not begin to appear until the 1920s.
Trigg eventually started to be formally developed in the late 1940s, when 1,888 lots were subdivided and sold. Many of the streets in the area were named after former residents and pioneers, as well as local personalities.
Trigg was named after Henry Trigg, former Superintendent of Public Works for the Swan River Colony. In 1919 there were only 3 buildings in the locality, and holiday and fishing shacks begin to appear in the 1920s.
Before European settlement, the local Nyoongar people built fish traps at Trigg Beach with rocks and branches. The fish would swim into the traps and at low tide the Nyoongar people would gather their catch caught in the fish trap. It is believed that the local Nyoongar people travelled from Star Swamp at North Beach, where there is evidence of them having used the area before colonisation, and lived a sustainable hunter-gatherer lifestyle. This was told to Mrs Oriel Green by her grandfather.