Development approval relates to land use and ensures that a development complies with the relevant Local Planning Scheme, residential design codes (R-Codes) and other relevant legislations and policies.
- Building a single house, grouped dwellings or multiple dwellings
- Extending or altering an existing building (including sheds, patios, garages, carports and satellite dishes)
- Building a replacement structure (for example, an old patio is being dismantled and another patio is being built as a replacement)
- Changing the use of the subject property
- Conducting business from home.
Before building work can start, a permit is required for most residential, commercial and industrial structures, including but not limited to:
- New works
- Additions and extensions
- Swimming pools and spas (including pool safety barriers or fences for pools and spas)
- Patios and sheds.
Please note, property owners intending to undertake building works over the value of $20,000 must apply directly to the Building Commission for an owner-builder approval. The owner-builder approval must be submitted with your building permit application.