Nollamara is named after the Aboriginal word for the black kangaroo paw plant, and was developed in 1950 as part of the Mirrabooka satellite city project.
"Nollamara" is an Aboriginal word for the plant more commonly known as the black kangaroo paw. Parts of the area now called Nollamara were originally granted separately to William Knight in 1841 and Mary Hutton in March 1844.
Development in Nollamara did not commence in earnest until the late 1940s. Prior to World War II, land in the southern sector of Nollamara was used mainly for market gardens and poultry farms. The State Housing Commission (now Department for Housing and Works) resumed construction in the area in 1950 as part of the Mirrabooka satellite city project. The suburb was named in 1954 and more than 2,500 homes had been built in Nollamara by 1969.
Residential development in Nollamara is generally characterised by single detached dwellings on small- to medium-sized lots. Construction styles vary from timber-framed character houses dating from the 1950s to modern brick and tile dwellings.
Property values in Nollamara have been on the increase for some years now, and redevelopment is occurring with many of the older homes being replaced by units and duplex developments. This has resulted in the reduced dominance of Department for Housing and Works properties.
Nollamara has a good range of public recreation areas with several reserves offering a range of active and passive recreational opportunities, including cricket and football. Des Penman Memorial Reserve is the largest and most developed park within Nollamara. The reserve is centrally located and offers a wide range of facilities including a community recreational centre and facilities for lawn bowls and tennis.
The Nollamara Shopping Centre is centrally located and provides for local daily needs. Three primary schools are also located in Nollamara.
Significant landmarks in Nollamara include the water tower located adjacent to the Mount Yokine reservoir. The water tower is visible from throughout the suburb and elsewhere in the region.