The name 'North Beach' was first given to the locality in 1888 when surveyor Charles Crossland referred to the pastoral leases of Samuel Richard Hamersley as his "north beach coastal run". It was not until 1954 however, that the name was formally approved.
Edward Hamersley settled in the North Beach area in 1837 and built a home known as 'The Castle' on the site of the former Castle Hotel. Edward Hamersley died in 1874 and the land was passed on to his son Samuel.
During the gold rush era, North Beach became a quarantine station for camels entering the country for service in the goldfields. Throughout the 1940s and 1950s the area became a holiday destination for the people of Perth. As a result many coastal shacks and holiday houses were built in North Beach, some of which are still there today.
In the late 1950s and early 1960s North Beach developed into a residential suburb and the town site was gazetted in 1964.