The City is committed to enhancing biodiversity within our community. Biological diversity (or biodiversity), refers to the variety of all species on earth such as different plants, animals and micro-organisms.
Biodiversity is constantly changing. Genetic change and evolutionary processes can increase biodiversity while habitat degradation, population decline and extinction reduce biodiversity. Therefore, we strive to ensure that biodiverse areas are not negatively impacted by our developing City.
Locations of interest for biodiversity
The Star Swamp Reserve is a 96-hectare reserve, featuring tuart, jarrah, marri and banksia woodlands. The 4-hectare swamp is a semi-permanent wetland located on the western edge of the reserve.
Numerous tracks provide the opportunity to get close to the abundant flora and fauna with relative ease. The Star Swamp heritage trail, which runs north-south through the reserve, provides visitors with an understanding of the history of the North Beach and the Watermans Bay areas.
Henderson Environmental Centre is located at Star Swamp Reserve. It is a popular venue for community and environmental events, meetings and the Nearer to Nature school holiday program delivered by the Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions.
Officially opened in 2001, its development was funded by:
- Long-time resident Mrs Emily Joyce Brushfield
- The City of Stirling
- The Lotteries Commission
- The Western Australian Tourism Commission
- The Department of Sport and Recreation
- Karrinyup Rotary Club.
Henderson Environmental Centre was designed as an environmentally sustainable building. Facilities at the centre include:
- Ecomax toilets
- Large windows (for natural light)
- Open vents
- Natural temperature control
- Rainwater tank
- Gazebo for outdoor activities
- Kitchen with fridge, water urn and microwave
- Large auditorium with trestle tables and chairs, whiteboard and projector screen
- Environmental displays in the foyer
- An office, library and a lab.
Location and contact details
Address Groat Street, North Beach WA 6020
Phone (08) 9205 8555