Art Awards and Exhibition 2023
The City of Stirling biennial Art Awards and Exhibition was held from 4-12 November 2023, exhibiting an extraordinary collection of 170 new works from established and emerging Western Australian artists. The works included paintings, works on paper, printmaking, textiles, photography and small sculptural works, and were available to purchase with artists recieving 100% of the sale price of their work.
More than 1,320 people visited and enjoyed the exhibition, with artists and their guests enjoying the opening night and awards presentations.
The exhibition also featured an exciting public program including access tours, a young artists sketch workshop, a local artists networking night with Curator and artists panel, artplay + storytime in the gallery for preschoolers and a special ‘In Conversation’ artists talk with three generations of creative Yorga, with all sessions fully subscribed and enjoyed by participants.
Visitors were encouraged to vote for their favourite artwork, with Iwona Van Niekerk winning the Westfield People's Choice Award for her work 'Fragmented Life - A Resilient Journey'.
- Major Acquisitive Award: Josh Wells for Six Seasons: Selection
Featuring still life botanical photographs of local flora found in the remnant bushland of the Inglewood Triangle.
- Second Highly Commended Award: Greg Barr for Charlie's One
- Third Highly Commended Award: Karl Lorenz for Blue Wave
- Rotary Club of Karrinyup Local Artist Award:
Nollamara local Robyn Jean for Portrait of Norma MacDonald
Mount Lawley local Marina van Leeuwen for 5.48 Clotilde
- Oxlades Art Supplies Young Artist Award: Han Gunn for Tripping up, down Dream St
The esteemed judges - Lyndall Adams, Michelle Broun and Peter Ciemitis - also awarded four commendations:
- Richard Aitken for We Reclaim
- Tatiana Amaral for 120 Ways of Seeing
- Pok Leung Li for White-cheeked Honeyeater
- Karen Price for Hey You
- The next Art Awards and Exhibition will be held in October/November 2025
- Entries will open in August 2025
For more information please contact the Arts Officer on (08) 9205 8555 or via email at email@example.com.
Revisit the 2023 exhibition by viewing the album on Facebook.
To keep up to date with other arts projects and opportunities, sign up to our Arts and Events newsletter.
Read the 2023 Conditions of Entry here.