Changes to the Planning and Development Regulation 2015

10 February 2021

The State Government has recently made changes to the Planning and Development (Local Planning Schemes) Regulation 2015 that affects advertising requirements. Due to come into effect on 15 February 2021, the changes will reduce red tape and streamline the approvals process. 

The following changes may affect some customers:

  • Planning approval will not be required for small home projects such water tanks, and cubby houses under certain sizes.
  • Plans that comply with the planning requirements (R-Codes), will be exempt from obtaining planning approval from the City and can instead proceed straight to building permit stage. This excludes Heritage Protection Areas and Development Zones. You may contact us to determine whether your proposal is compliant.
  • The City is now required to advise applicants within seven days of lodgement whether a development application is incomplete, and more information is required. Should no advice be received, the application is taken to be complete. The application fee must be paid at the time of lodgement.
  • Development that is considered to be complex is now required to be advertised for 28 days (increased from 21 days), have a sign on site and provide written notification to owners and occupiers within a 200 metre radius. 
  • Development considered to be non-complex is required to be advertised for 14 days and can be in the form of letters and signage.
  • The City may ask for further information for development during the assessment. Applicants will be given a minimum of 21 days to provide this information, but the applicant must confirm if they are going to provide it within 7 days of the City’s request or it is taken that the information will not be provided.
  • If the applicant agrees, the application will be on hold until the complete requested information is received or the end of 21 days, whichever comes first.
  • If the applicant does not agree, the City will assess and determine the application as submitted.
  • Further requests for information may be undertaken if the application is a considered to be a complexdevelopment or needs referral to public authorities such as Main Roads WA.

The State Government Changes to the Planning and Development (Local Planning Schemes) Regulation include a broader range of exemptions for small projects and change of use applications. To learn more, click here.

Social Media Share this articleLinks below open in a new window

Back to news