Step 3 - Getting assistance

Getting assistance from the right people is an important part of any project and we strongly recommend that you contact our experienced development services team before submitting your application. We can help save you time by enabling you to submit a successful application.

What can we help with?

  • The City’s planning officers can provide advice on:

    • Legislative requirements of Local Planning Scheme No. 3 and Planning and Development Regulations 2015
    • The development approvals process including types of development applications, fees and payment methods
    • Exemptions under the Development Regulations 2015
    • The types of land uses
    • Matters regarding unauthorised land-use such as home businesses, short stay accommodation and privacy issues relating to structures such as decks, patios and fences
    • Advice on the requirements of a development application (DA) for the approval of unauthorised land use and structures.

    The City can provide this free advice in writing or in the form of a meeting. 

    To submit a planning pre-lodgement advice request, click the link below and provide the relevant details about the project:

    Planning pre-lodgement advice request

  • The City’s building surveyors can provide advice on:

    •   Legislative requirements of the Building Act 2011 and Building Regulations 2012
    •   The building permit approval process for all types of buildings
    •   The demolition permit approval process
    •   Types of building applications, fees and payment methods
    •   Matters relating to unauthorised structures such as decks, patios, retaining walls, sheds, pools/spas, fences and structural building work
    •   Dangerous structures such as failing fences, walls, unfenced pools and buildings
    •   The requirements of a building approval certificate (BAC) application for the approval of unauthorised building structures.