Have you considered using public transport, cycling or walking to work?
With our dependency on cars, we tend to forget how convenient and pleasant public transport, cycling and walking can be, compared to sitting in traffic and fighting for parking.
You and your fellow employees can make small changes which will make a big impact on our environment.
For more information, please visit the Department of Transport website.
Paper is one of the biggest outputs at most workplaces. Here are some tips to reduce paper use:
- Use only 100% recycled paper
- Avoid printing - switch to digital processes (for example, track changes, digital signature)
- Always print double sided
- Recycle all paper, cardboard, magazines and newspapers.
For more information, please visit the Waste Authority WA website.
The Water Corporation provides a range of efficiency programs, training courses and information to save water at all sorts of workplaces including:
- Office buildings
- Schools and further education
For more information, please visit the Water Corporation website.
Saving energy in the workplace is similar to the home (depending on the type of workplace you have).
Some ways to save energy in the workplace include:
- In summer set air-con to cool at no less than 24ºC
- In winter set air-con to warm at no more than 20ºC
- Ensure air-con doesn’t operate on non-working days
- Switch off lights and consider installing sensor lights so they can't be accidentally left on
- Switch off computers and all monitors at the end of the day
- Switch off appliances at the wall to reduce the drain of standby power (which can add up to 10% each year)
- Use LED lighting instead of incandescent halogen down lights
- Reduce the number of small appliances. For example, multiple coffee machines, personal desk fans and heaters
- Choose energy-efficient appliances and look after them (clean, service and ensure they are working properly)
- During quiet periods (for example, Christmas and New Year holidays) consider switching off most lifts, escalators, and air-conditioning
- Consider installing renewable energy (for example, solar PV, wind turbine, geothermal).
For more information, please visit the Energy website.