Cat permits

Cat legislation aims to reduce the number of unwanted cats in the community and the number that are euthanised each year. Microchipping and registration will also ensure your cat is returned to you if it becomes lost.

A cat permit will be issued under the following circumstances:

  • If you own 2-3 cats and live in a fauna-protected buffer zone
  • If you own 3 cats and live anywhere in the City.

If you intend to own four or more cats, you will need to apply for a cattery permit:

Application for Cattery Permit

Fauna-protection buffer zones extend 200 metres from the boundaries of the above cat-prohibited areas. A cat permit is required if you live within a buffer zone and own more than one cat.

Please note that the City of Stirling does not hire or provide cat traps for use by residents.

Cat-prohibited areas

So that we can protect the City’s native flora and fauna, cats are prohibited from entering the following areas:

  • Star Swamp Bushland Reserve, North Beach
  • Carine Regional Open Space, Carine
  • Gwelup Open Space, Gwelup
  • Trigg Bushland Reserve, Trigg
  • Herdsman Lake Regional Reserve
  • Jackadder Lake Reserve, Woodlands
  • Dianella Regional Open Space, Dianella
  • Hamersley public golf course, Karrinyup
  • Cottonwood Crescent natural bushland, Dianella
  • Mirrabooka Open Space, Mirrabooka
  • All beach reserves.

Cat prohibited area map

Click here Click here

Natural cat-deterrents

There are a number of natural products you can use to deter wandering cats from your property. These include:

  • Citrus peels and sprays
  • Garlic
  • Cinnamon
  • Lemongrass
  • Eucalyptus
  • Citronella
  • Vinegar

You will also find cat-deterrent products in most pet stores.