Step 5 - Completing your project

Once you are in the final stages of completing your project, you will need to gather all relevant documentation for final sign off. Some documents may vary dependant on the role you have played in your project.

Find detailed address information and relevant applications
Get help now

Things to consider

  • For uncertified and certified Class 1 and 10 buildings and incidental structures, upon completion of work, the builder must provide a Notice of Completion (BA7) to the permit authority within seven days of completion of work. If this work includes a swimming pool or pool safety barriers, an inspection certificate must accompany the notice. Please note, the requirement to provide this inspection certificate as part of the Notice of Completion is separate to the requirement for a local government to inspect existing pools in its district at least once every four years.

    For certified Class 2 to Class 9 buildings, the builder must provide a Notice of Completion to the permit authority along with the relevant inspection certificates within seven days of the work.

    This establishes the end date of the permit for compliance and record keeping purposes. Until the notice is received, the person named as builder or demolition contractor remains liable for the building or demolition complying with the Building Act 2011 until a Notice of Cessation (BA8) or a Notice of Completion (BA7) is issued.

  • Inspection certificates are required for inspections and tests.

    The builder must ensure that each inspection certificate that accompanies a Notice of Completion contains the following information:

    • The number of the building permit for the building work inspected or tested
    • A description of the purpose, extent and outcome of the inspection or test
    • The date and time the inspection or test was conducted
    • The name, contact details and qualifications of the person conducting the inspection or test
    • Any other document or evidence of the outcome of the inspection or test that the person conducting the inspection or test considers relevant.

    It is up to the builder to be satisfied that the person doing the inspection has the relevant qualifications and experience.

  • New buildings

    An Occupancy Permit (BA9) is required for all Class 2 to 9 buildings before a building can be occupied or used. Under the Building Code of Australia, Class 2 to 9 buildings include but are not limited to apartments, factories, warehouses, public buildings as well as shops and offices for professional and commercial use.

    Occupancy permit applications for newly completed buildings must include:

    The following circumstances will require an occupancy permit:

    • To occupy a completed new building or a new part of an existing building
    • To occupy an incomplete building or part of a building on a temporary basis
    • To modify a current occupancy permit for additional use of a building on a temporary basis
    • To occupy a building or part of a building that has undergone a permanent change of use or classification
    • To authorise and occupy an unauthorised building or an unauthorised part of a building
    • To authorise a building with an existing approval with a new or replacement occupancy permit.

    Dependant on the type of building where the works have taken place, additional documentation is required:

    Existing authorised occupied buildings

    Occupancy permit applications for existing authorised buildings must include:

    Existing unauthorised buildings

    Retrospective occupancy permit applications for unauthorised building or change of use must include:

    Occupancy permit assessment time-frames

    The City has 10 business days decide on an occupancy permit application. A further information request may be sent to the nominated builder or applicant if additional information is required. The builder/applicant then has 21 calendar days to provide the requested information.

    The City has the right to refuse an application if the required information is not provided within the designated 21-day time-frame. The City also has the right to retain the application fee.

    For more information or to access the relevant forms, please visit the Building Commission website.

    Did you know?

    Before you submit an occupancy permit application to the City, the building must be completed with all services such as electrical, mechanical, fire and hydraulic services. Please note, certificates from specialists and trades may be required as part of your application.

Street trees

Planting development-conditioned trees

As part of your Development Approval, tree planting may be required on the verge and/or your private land. Residents are not permitted to plant their own street tree.

Private trees - Private trees required as part of Development Approval must be planted prior to the development being occupied. The City will monitor the presence and growth of your new trees as part of it’s annual aerial Canopy Monitoring program. For more information, visit the Trees and development page. 

Street trees - Upon completion of your development, the City will schedule the planting of at least one new street tree if no existing street tree exists. Trees are planted in the next planting season, generally between May and September and fees apply.