Careniup Swamp Reserve Management Plan - Draft
Consultation has concluded
The Careniup Swamp Reserve in Gwelup is made up of wetlands, large open spaces, urban forests and fields, and is a wonderful place for bird watching, photography, nature play and walking. It is also home to the Secret Garden - a place that is special to the City and our residents.
Home to the Secret Garden
We want to make sure this important natural resource is looked after well into the future, which means it needs to be effectively managed.
The Careniup Swamp Reserve Management Plan - Draft aims to balance the environmental and conservation needs of the reserve, while still meeting the current and future recreational needs of the community.
What does the management plan cover?
The management plan recommends a number of actions to address:
Provides details on how the City will plan for the management of land adjacent to the swamp.
Outlines the actions the City will undertake to ensure a healthy, natural ecosystem within the swamp precinct is maintained.
Discusses the measures the City will take to protect the vegetation and wildlife within the reserve.
Addresses the infrastructure needs and ongoing management required to cater for an increasing number of visitors to the reserve while reducing the impact on the natural environment. The Draft Development Plan shows the proposed infrastructure and works planned for the reserve.
How can I view the management plan?
The Careniup Swamp Reserve - Draft Management Plan is available to download from in useful documents below. There are three documents that make up the plan:
- Careniup Swamp Reserve Management Plan - Draft
- Careniup Swamp Reserve - Draft Development Plan
- Careniup Swamp Reserve Management Plan - Draft - Appendices.
This information is available in alternative formats, on request by contacting the City of Stirling Customer Service Team on (08) 9205 8555.
What will the City do with my feedback?
All comments sent to the City will be collated and summarised in a consultation report.
The City will provide responses to the comments in the report but, to ensure respondents remain anonymous, will not include identifiable information.
The consultation report will include the query/comment, how many people raised the comment and the City’s response.
What does the Careniup Swamp Reserve - Draft Management Plan aim to achieve?
The Careniup Swamp Reserve - Draft Management Plan aims to:
- Maintain a healthy natural ecosystem within the Careniup Swamp precinct;
- Manage stormwater from the surrounding catchment in accordance with best management practice standards
- Produce a network of parks, environmental experiences and amenities that will meet the local community’s passive recreation needs into the future;
- Produce an integrated pedestrian path network within the Careniup Swamp precinct that connects with the broader neighbourhood path network
- Establish theme/s for an appropriate landscape character for the public open space areas in response to context, natural and cultural values; and landscape management/maintenance requirements
- Develop a plan that balances conservation of the natural elements of Careniup Swamp with the increase in recreational use of the reserve and drainage functions
- Utilise the City’s resources effectively for future development and ongoing management works.
What are the next steps?
Once the public comment period has closed, all comments received will be collated and a report prepared for Council.
Based on the outcome of the public comment period, the report to Council will identify the next steps in delivering the Careniup Swamp Reserve - Management Plan.
Development of the Careniup Swamp Reserve - Draft Management Plan
Public comment period opens Careniup Swamp Reserve Management Plan - Draft has finished this stage 16 October 2018
Public comment period closes Careniup Swamp Reserve Management Plan - Draft is currently at this stage 6 December 2018
Report to Council and identification of next steps