Results of the 2023 election
The City of Stirling 2023 Local Government Election has concluded, with the Western Australian Electoral Commission (WAEC) announcing the final results of the ballot count:
- Mayor – Mayor Mark Irwin re-elected
- Balga Ward – Councillor Michael Dudek re-elected
- Coastal Ward – Candidate Rob Paparde elected
- Doubleview Ward – Councillor Stephanie Proud re-elected
- Hamersley Ward – Councillor Chris Hatton re-elected
- Inglewood Ward
- Candidate Damien Giudici elected to fill the four-year vacancy
- Councillor David Lagan re-elected to fill the two-year vacancy
- Lawley Ward – Councillor Joe Ferrante re-elected
- Osborne Ward – Councillor Lisa Thornton re-elected.
Councillors are elected to four-year terms, due to expire at the 16 October 2027 Local Government Election, with the exception of the two-year term created by the resignation of Councillor Bianca Sandri.
The 41st Council will be sworn in at a Special Council Meeting on Tuesday 31 October, where a Deputy Mayor will be elected by a vote of Council.
“It’s a real honour to be re-elected and I appreciate that the community has put their trust in me as Mayor and trust in our Council, with all Councillors who sought another term being re-elected,” Mayor Mark Irwin said.
“With the resignation of Councillor Bianca Sandri and Councillor Felicity Farrelly deciding not to re-contest her seat, we welcome two new faces to Council Chambers: Councillor Damien Giudici in Inglewood Ward and Councillor Rob Paparde in Coastal Ward. Congratulations on your election to Council and with the demonstrated support of your community we welcome you to Council.
“Your Elected Members work hard to deliver for the Stirling community. Our Council prides itself on stable governance, community engagement and a focus on the future as we continue to deliver our vision for Stirling as a sustainable City with a local focus.
“It’s positive to see a strong voter turnout this year and I look forward to working with Council to serve the community into the future.”
The newly re-elected Mayor thanked the Returning Officer for the WAEC’s management of the election on behalf of the City of Stirling.
The City of Stirling will host an Elected Members Expo on Monday 30 October ahead of the public swearing-in ceremony on the evening of Tuesday 31 October 2023. This induction will provide new and returning Councillors with:
- Project and service delivery briefings from Directors
- Compliance and governance briefings from Governance staff
- Introduction to the support they will receive from the City to help them deliver in their role.
For general election information please visit www.elections.wa.gov.au or for full results visit the Stirling results page on the WAEC website.Back to news