As part of improvements to Perth’s pedestrian and cycling network, Main Roads is constructing a 3.7km Principal Shared Path (PSP) linking Reid Highway (Balcatta) to Civic Place (Stirling), including a new pedestrian underpass at Karrinyup Road.
The new section of PSP will be built on the eastern side of Mitchell Freeway and construction will primarily occur in the existing freeway reserve, including local connections and a new 80 metre underpass at Karrinyup Road.
Noise walls will be built beside residential areas on the eastern side between Karrinyup Road and Erindale Road along the rear property boundaries to reduce noise experienced by residents living near the freeway.
To allow for these significant works, the Karrinyup Road off-ramp from Mitchell Freeway southbound will be closed from the evening of Thursday 16 June until 30 November 2022. Speed reductions and detours will be in place.
During this time, Karrinyup Road will be reduced to one lane in both directions where it crosses the freeway.
In addition to the ramp closure, road users will face the following restrictions:
- Traffic signals will be switched off at both the Mitchell Freeway northbound and southbound intersections with Karrinyup Road, meaning Karrinyup Road will operate under free flow traffic conditions with a single lane in each direction (east/west)
- The Mitchell Freeway southbound on-ramp will be closed to eastbound traffic along Karrinyup Road. Westbound traffic toward Mitchell Freeway southbound may be intermittently disrupted
- The Mitchell Freeway northbound off-ramp will become left-turn only
- The Mitchell Freeway northbound on-ramp will be closed to the westbound traffic along Karrinyup Road, eastbound traffic will still be permitted
- PSP users (on the west side of the Mitchell Freeway) will be detoured to the protected signalised crossing at North Beach Road (approximately 640 metres total detour length).
Bus access will be maintained in both directions to provide access to nearby attractions such as Karrinyup Shopping Centre.
The nearest freeway on- and off-ramps include Reid Highway or Cedric Street.
Delays during peak times are expected, and motorists are encouraged to consider an alternative route.
The finished project will deliver 3.7km of PSP to connect with the existing PSP north of Erindale Road, 80m underpass under Karrinyup Road (which will greatly enhance safety and accessibility for pedestrians and cyclists), a noise wall near adjacent residential properties and landscaping with native trees and ground cover.
To access Osborne Park Hospital, exit the Freeway at Cedric Street, turn left on Karrinyup Road and left again on Dennis Street.
Access to the Karrinyup Shopping Centre will be via
- Reid Highway and Marmion Avenue
- Erindale Road and North Beach Road
- Cedric Street and Huntriss Road.
Back to news
Social Media Share this articleLinks below open in a new window