Community Citizen of the Year Awards
Each year on Australia Day, the Community Citizen of the Year Awards give local governments around the state the opportunity to acknowledge the contribution and celebrate community engagement of people within the community.
Every community has local heroes; people who make your community a better place.
This year more than ever, you may know of an individual or group who made an outstanding contribution to your community.
- Community Citizen of the Year
- Senior Community Citizen of the Year (65 years or over)
- Young Community Citizen of the Year (under 25 years)
- Active Citizenship Award (community group or event).
Nominate now for Community Citizen of the Year Awards 2021Click here
Who can nominate for an award?
Nominations are open to:
- Individual members of the public
- Individuals on behalf of a group or organisation
- Local government employees and Elected Members may also make nominations based on local knowledge and experience.
Nominations open 1 September and close 31 October each year.
Nominees must have met the one or more of the following criteria:
- Significant contribution to the local commuinity over and above what is normally expected from their paid employment/business
- Demonstrated leadership on a community issue resulting in the enhancement of community life
- A significant initiative which has brought about positive change and added value to community life
- Inspiring qualities as a role model for the community.
Who is eligible for nomination?
A person or group must satisfy the following criteria to be eligible for nomination:
- Nominees should reside or work principally within the local government making the award
- Awards may be granted posthumously in recognition of recent achievements
- Groups of people will not normally be eligible except when meeting the criteria for a community group
- A person may receive an award on more than one occasion in recognition of their particularly outstanding community contribution or involvement in an alternative initiative
- Unsuccessful nominees may be nominated in future years
- Nominations must be apolitical in their nature
- Sitting members of State, Federal and local government are not eligible.
How do I submit a nomination?