​​​​​​​Jump to sec​tion:

AnimalsCommunity Communications​​RangersRates​

Security Services



Q: I've lost my pet's registration tag; can I get a replacement?

A: You can request a replacement tag in person at the Main Administration building at 25 Cedric Street, Stirling or the Animal Care Facility at 15 Natalie Way, Balcatta. Replacement tags cost $5.50. Alternatively, you can send a money order or cheque with your pet's details to the City at 25 Cedric Street, Stirling and a replacement tag will be posted to you. Please note, only one tag can be issued per pet.

Q: Can the City collect stray or wandering cats?

A: No. There are currently no legislative requirements for cats to be confined to a property. The only exception to this may be cats in a cat prohibited area (bushland and wetland). For further information please refer to the City's Cat Fact Sheet.

back to top ↑

Community Communications

Q: When is the Stirling Scene published?

A: The Stirling Scene is published quarterly and delivered mid-March, June, September and late November. It is also available on the City's website or you can obtain hard copies from all City of Stirling Libraries and Community Centres.

Q: How can I arrange for a copy of the Stirling Times to be delivered to me?

A: The Stirling Times is published by Community News Papers. Please telephone (08) 9231 5200 for any distribution enquiries.  Alternatively, you can subscribe to Community News and receive your local paper direct to your email inbox.
back to top ↑


Q: Can a City of Stirling Ranger or Parking Officer retract an infringement?

A: The City's Rangers and Parking Officers are legally unable to retract an infringement once it has been issued and they cannot be involved in the appeal process. An appeal must be submitted in writing to the City within 28 days of the fine being issued. You can lodge your appeal via the City's Online Infringement Appeal Form.

Q: Can I park on the street in front of a residential property?

A: Vehicles are permitted to park on the street provided the vehicle is moved every 24 hours, there are no signs stating otherwise and there are no yellow lines marked on the road. For more information please visit the City's Parking Fact Sheet.

Q: If a vehicle is parked on a driveway but is impeding the use of a footpath, is it illegally parked?

A: Yes, a vehicle that is parked blocking any portion of a footpath, including the crossover, is illegally parked. Footpaths provide pedestrians with a safe alternative to walking on the road and must be kept clear at all times. For more information please visit the City's Parking Fact Sheet.

back to top ↑


Q: How do I know if I have received my pensioner discount on my rates?

A: Pensioner rebates are displayed on the front page of the rates notice and are referred to as the 'State Government Rebate'. For more information on who is eligible to receive a concession please visit our Council rates FAQs.

Q: I have applied for a rebate with the Water Authority, what happens with my Council rates?

A: The Water Authority will advise the City of the concession you are eligible for and the rebate will then be reflected in your Council rates. To discuss your eligibility please contact the Water Authority on 1300 659 951. 

Q: Can my rates be sent to me by email?

A: Yes, to organise for you rates to be delivered by email please visit our eRates online registration page.  Please note – you can only nominate to have rates notices emailed OR posted, you are unable to do both.

Q: When are my rates due?

To enter the Prize Draw please pay your rates in full by 3pm WST on 28 August 2017.

For instalments please pay the exact amount shown as instalment 1 on your rates notice on 4 September 2017.

Other due dates for 2017/18 Rates are;

Instalment 2 due on 13 November 2017

Instalment 3 due on 15 January 2018

Instalment 4 due on 20 March 2018

If you are having difficulty paying any of the options on your Rates Notice please call the City of Stirling on (08) 9205 8555 and ask for the Rates Team who will help you set up a payment arrangement.

back to top ↑​  

Security Services

Q: Can the City's Security Service conduct patrols of my house whilst I am on holiday?

A: Yes, the City of Stirling provides a holiday watch service for private residences. The security service will provide random patrols of your property and will also advise you of some steps that you can take to make your home safer whilst you are away. To register for this service please visit www.stirling.wa.gov.au and fill out the holiday watch form or contact Security Services on 1300 365 356. Please ensure your request is submitted at least two weeks in advance of your departure.

back to top ↑


Q: Can I pave or lay synthetic turf on my verge?

A: If you would like to install paving or synthetic turf on the verge adjacent to your property, prior approval from the City is required. Approval can be obtained by submitting a completed Verge Treatment Application to the City. For more information on the City's verge requirements, please see the Verge Treatment Policy on our website.

Q: Can I park on the verge in front of a residential property?

A: Vehicles are permitted to park on the verge provided they are not parked in contrary to any signage and you have permission from the adjacent land owner or tenant. For more information please visit the City's Parking Fact Sheet.

Q: How can I register my interest in having a street tree planted on my verge?

A: To register your interest in having a street tree planted on your verge, please contact our Customer Contact Centre on (08) 9205 8555. As we prepare the planting schedule for the winter months you will receive written correspondence from the City advising you of the tree species that are available on your street.

Q: Can I prune the street tree on my verge?

A: No, the City is solely responsible for the pruning and removal of street trees. Unauthorised pruning or removal of any street tree is not permitted and penalties may apply.

To find out when pruning is next occurring in your suburb, please visit the Street Trees page on the City's website.

Q: When will the City remove a tree from the verge?

A: The City will only remove a tree from the verge if it is dead, dying or diseased.

back to top ↑​ 


Q: Where can I find information about the On Demand Waste Collection services within the City?

A: To learn more about our On Demand services, which have replaced the household verge collections, please visit the waste section of the City's website.

Q: How can I order an On Demand Waste Collection?

A: On Demand Waste Collections can be ordered via the City's website. Alternatively you can contact our Customer Contact Centre on (08) 9205 8555 for assistance

Q: How can I find out when my next green waste verge collection will be?

A: You can find out when your next green waste verge collection is scheduled via the City's website, in the 2017/18 Waste and Recycling Guide or by contacting our Customer Contact Centre on (08) 9205 8555. Community newspapers will also advertise each scheduled collection nine days prior to their start date.

Q: What are the opening hours for the Balcatta Recycling Centre?

A: The Balcatta Recycling Centre is open from 7.30am to 4.00pm, Monday to Saturday and 8.00am to 4.00pm Sundays, excluding Christmas Day, New Year's Day and Good Friday.

Q: I am not a City of Stirling resident; can I still use the Balcatta Recycling Centre?

A: The Balcatta Recycling Centre is open to all members of the public to use. For items that cannot be recycled, weighbridge fees apply dependant on the type and weight of the waste. For further information please refer to the Rubbish & Recycling page on the City's website.

Q: Where can I find my tip passes?

A: Residential properties that are paying for a waste service are issued tip passes on their rates notice. The tip passes are printed at the bottom of the page of the 2017/2018 rates notices. Tip passes cannot be re-printed. If you have lost, misplaced or did not receive your tip passes, please contact our Customer Contact Centre on (08) 9205 8555.

Q: If my bin collection falls on a public holiday, when will the bin be collected?

A: There will be no change to household and commercial waste collections on public holidays, with the exception of Christmas Day, New Year's Day and Good Friday. If your bin is due to be collected on these days, the bin will be collected the following day and the remainder of the week's collections are serviced the next consecutive day. Please place your bin out as per normal by 6.00am to ensure collection.

Q: I don’t have enough room in my red/yellow/green bin for my rubbish and recycling. Can I get a bigger bin? 

A: Bin upgrades are now available. For further information on the available options and the corresponding prices please contact our Customer Contact Centre on (08) 9205 8555.​

Q: Can I dispose of a mattress using an On Demand skip bin?

A: No, however residential properties are entitled to a yearly On Demand collection for mattresses, electronic waste and white goods as well as a skip bin. For more information on our On Demand Waste Collections please visit the waste section of the City's website.

Q: I am demolishing my property, what do I need to do with my bin?

A: Once the property has been granted a demolition permit and the bins are no longer required at the site please notify the City. This will allow us to collect the bins and cease your waste charges whilst development is underway. Please contact our Customer Contact Centre on (08) 9205 8555 to obtain new bins once building works have been completed.

Q: I don't have a green bin for my garden waste, can I get one?  

A: Yes, residential properties are eligible to receive a green waste bin at no additional cost. Please contact our Customer Contact Centre on (08) 9205 8555 or email stirling@stirling.wa.gov.au with your details to place your request.

Q: Can I take asbestos to the Balcatta Recycling Centre?

A: No. Due to health and safety requirements, the City of Stirling no longer accepts asbestos at the Balcatta Recycling Centre. However, you can dispose of asbestos at the Tamala Park or Red Hill Waste Management Facilities. Please see www.mrc.wa.gov.au and www.emrc.org.au for further details on opening hours and the requirements for disposal.

Q: I am a small business and would like to arrange recycling services. Is the City in a position to provide this service?

A: Yes, the City can offer co-mingled recycling services to businesses. We are currently offering 240L and 360L bins which are serviced on a fortnightly basis. For further information please contact the Customer Contact Centre on (08) 9205 8555.

Q: We are a not-for-profit organisation/educational facility, can the City provide us with a free recycling service?

A: Not-for-profit organisations, educational facilities and charities are not classified as domestic properties, so they are not eligible to receive a domestic waste service. Waste and recycling services for these organisations can be offered at a different service charge. For further information please contact our Customer Contact Centre on (08) 9205 8555.

Q: Can I still order a skip bin  if my property doesn't have a verge?

A: If you live in a unit or property without a verge you will still have access to the On Demand  Waste Collections. The collection contractor will visit your property and decide the best location for the skip. You may need to sign a consent form to agree to place the skip in a suitable location. For more information please contact our Customer Contact Centre on (08) 9205 8555.

back to top ↑ ​​