Responsible cat ownership checklist
  • Register your cat with the local council
  • Microchip your cat
  • Sterilise your cat
  • Ensure your cat is easily identifiable by wearing a collar with name tag and current registration tag
  • Vaccinate your cat
  • Keep your cat confined to your property, particularly at night
  • Ensure your cat has a cosy sleeping area with food, water and a litter tray and
  • Ensure your and your cat's details are kept up to date with the Local Council and Microchip Registry.

For further information, please click on the link to our Responsible Cat Ownership Leaflet below.

Cats - What the Law Says

The Cat Act 2011
The Act was introduced by the State Government with the aim of encouraging responsible pet ownership and reducing the number of unwanted cats across Western Australia.

From 1 November 2013, under the Act, owners of cats (over the age of 6 months) must ensure they have their feline pets:

1. Micro-chipped, wearing a collar and registration tags
(for identification purposes if the animal becomes lost or injured)

2. Sterilised – unless being used for breeding purposes by a City of Stirling approved breeder
(discount sterilisation applies to City of Stirling Residents)

3. Registered – with the Local Government (see below)
Local Government officers will be authorised to enforce this legislation and fines may apply to owners who do not comply. Cat owners should register their cat(s) with the City of Stirling.

Cat Registration form print version.pdf
Online cat registration form

Registration Fees

Registration 1 Year 3 Year Lifetime
Full Fee$20.00$42.50 $100.00
Pension Concession**$10.00 $21.25$50.00

** Pension Concession
Reduced fees apply upon proof of either current:

  • Pensioner Concession Card
  • State Concession Card or
  • Commonwealth Seniors Card together with a Seniors Card.

NOTE: There is no provision for the refund of cat registration fee/s.

For further information regarding the Cat Act 2011 please visit the Department of Local Government website or contact them by telephoning (08) 6551 8700.

Exclusions and Buffer Zones

The City of Stirling Local Laws (Keeping and Control of Cats - Local Law 1999) control the number of cats kept on premises in order to protect native fauna and outline requirements for Cat Permits. Within the City there are areas where cats are totally prohibited and there are also Fauna Protected Buffer Zones which extend 200 metres from the boundary of a Cat Protected Area.

The following are Cat Prohibited Areas:

  • Star Swamp
  • Carine Open Space
  • Gwelup Open Space
  • Trigg Bushland
  • Herdsman Lake
  • Jackadder Lake
  • Dianella Regional Open Space
  • Hamersley Golf Course
  • Cottonwood Crescent Bushlands
  • Mirrabooka Open Space
  • Beach Reserves.

These reserves have been selected based on their environmental significance as they are particularly valued for their native fauna. To protect native species within the City, cats found in prohibited areas may be trapped, impounded and euthanised, with owners liable for penalties. Owners of cats with a name tag, registration and/or a microchip will be notified to allow them to reclaim their cat. (Penalties may be imposed).

To find out if you live within a cat prohibitive area or buffer zone telephone the City on 9205 8555.

Cat Permits

Under this local law, a Cat Pemit is required if:

  • You own 2-3 cats and live in a fauna protected buffer zone
  • You own 3 cats and live anywhere in the City
  • If you wish to own 4 or more cats a Cattery Permit is required*

*Cattery Permit fees of $45.00 per annum apply.

Cattery Permit Application Form

Permit Reference Guide - Do I require a permit?

Number of cats 1 2 3 4 +
Inside Fauna Protected Buffer ZoneNo Yes a Cat PermitYes a Cat Permit 

Yes - a Cattery Permit


Outside Fauna Protected Buffer Zone

No No Yes a Cat Permit Yes - a Cattery Permit

What are the conditions of obtaining a permit?

  • Each cat on the premises is registered and micro-chipped
  • Each cat must be sterilised (unless approved by the City for breeding purposes)
  • Each cat may be required to be contained on the premises, unless under the control of a person
  • The premises shall be maintained in good order and in a clean and sanitary condition
  • Adequate space shall be provided on the premises for the exercise of the cats
  • The permit holder shall not substitute or replace any cat once that cat dies or is permanently removed from the premises, without first obtaining the consent of the City and
  • The permit is not transferable to other permit holders or properties.

If you require a Cat Permit for:

  • either two or three cats, please contact the City via email or telephone (08) 9205 8555
  • 4+ cats (a cattery) please contact the City's Health and Compliance Business Unit on (08) 9205 8555.

Please note that a Cat Permit is NOT a Cat Registration.


A 40 per cent discount off the normal price of cat sterilisations is available to City of Stirling residents who sterilise their cat(s) at Karrinyup Small Animal Hospital in Gwelup, upon proof of City of Stirling residency (conditions apply).

Discounted price:
Male: $80.00
Female: $120.00

Further details are available from Karrinyup Small Animal Hospital or telephone (08) 9447 4644.


City of Stirling residents can also get discounted prices on cat microchipping. Benefits of microchipping include:

  • A permanent form of identification
  • The microchip cannot fall off
  • The procedure is simple (one quick injection by a vet)
  • Your pet can be identified 24 hours a day, 7 days a week which means your pet can be returned home sooner

If you are a City of Stirling resident you are eligible for this discounted microchipping service through Karrinyup Small Animal Hospital at a rate of $35.00 per cat.

If your contact details change it is important that you contact the Microchip Registry and the City.

A microchip is only as useful as details specified on it.

Applications and Information

Keeping and Control of Cats Local Law 1999.pdfKeeping and Control of Cats Local Law 199963 KB 2/02/2012 9:06
Cat Act Implementation - Questions and Answers.pdfCat Act Implementation - Questions and Answers318 KB 2/08/2013 15:52
Sterilisation brochure for Cats and Dogs.pdfSterilisation brochure for Cats and Dogs242 KB 16/08/2013 11:25
Responsible Cat Ownership DL Leaflet.pdfResponsible Cat Ownership DL Leaflet369 KB 23/10/2013 15:08
Transfer of Pet Ownership Form.pdfTransfer of Pet Ownership Form46 KB 18/09/2014 7:53
Fact Sheet C1 - Nuisance Cats.pdfFact Sheet C1 - Nuisance Cats342 KB 14/04/2015 11:54
Cat Fact Sheet.pdfCat Fact Sheet285 KB 30/10/2013 11:41
Cattery Permit Application Form.pdfCattery Permit Application Form93 KB 25/02/2016 10:04
Cat Registration form print version.pdfCat Registration form print version387 KB 18/08/2016 13:56

Dealing with nuisance cats

If cats entering your property inconvenience you, you may try a number of means to discourage them:
  • Utilise products available from nurseries and pet shops to deter cats
  • Ensure that your pet's food is not left outside to entice cats
  • Try to ascertain who the owner of the cat is. This can help make the owner aware of their cat's habits and may increase the likelihood of steps being taken to control their activities.

The City of Stirling does not support cat trapping nor does it supply or loan cat traps. There are a number of issues associated with this practice, most importantly the cat may be a family pet and there are significant animal welfare concerns. Cat trapping may also be an offence under the Animal Welfare Act 2002 (WA).