​​​Organising an event within the City of Stirling?  

The City of Stirling is committed to developing and supporting events that provide entertainment and leisure opportunities for the community to enjoy.

We can provide advice on planning your event and you may also need to complete an Event Application Form. Please download a copy of our Event Planning Guide, which contains information on:

  • The 4 stages of event planning
  • Legal issues
  • Funding and sponsorship
  • Budgeting
  • Marketing and promotion
  • Risk management
  • Public safety

Event Planning Brochure 

Event Application Process 

An important aspect of organising events is to ensure that the event is safe and successful. The City has a range of documents and applications necessary to assist with the relevant legislative requirements necessary for organising certain types of events.

Please note, events on private property are not required to complete an Event Application but must email the event details to stirling@stirling.wa.gov.au to ensure the event is permitted on the property and all relevant permits and approvals are obtained.

Event Guidelines and Requirements

To ensure your event complies with local laws and other legislative requirements and to help you through the application process and better plan a successful event, it is essential that the Event Guidelines below are read and understood before proceeding to an application.

  Event Application Guidelines

Do I Need to Complete an Event Application Form?

Complete this short questionnaire to ascertain whether or not an application is required.

  Do I need to complete an Event Application Form

Event Notification

An Event Notification is required for:

  • Gatherings between 100 and 500 people, 
  • Events on public land (parks, reserves, city owned land or Crown land including Schools - does not apply to residential properties, commercial properties or other private land that is not directly managed by the City).
  • Where there is no alcohol or food being sold or given away or no major community impact such as noise or parking implications.

  Event Notification Form

Event Application

An Event Application is required if:

  • The event is open to the general public;
  • The event is held on City property or in a public place with an expected attendance of over 500 people; or 
  • Additional approval is required where your event has food and/or drink, excess noise, structures and stages or parking implications.

Download the documents below for more information or to submit an Event Application.

  Event Application Form 

Additional applications may be required including Application to Sell Food, Structural Certificate, Certificate of Approval and Maximum Accommodation Certificates.  Please see the below 'Attachments' documents for relevant forms as described by the Event Guidelines.

  Event Application Attachments

Food Vendors at Events

The City of Stirling now offers a 12 month 'Permit to Sell Food at Events' for food registered vendors (valid to the end of a financial year).  This Permit allows vendors to trade at an unlimited number of events within the City (pending invitation from the event organiser) without the need for additional paperwork or permits.  

Vendors are required to submit an Application to Sell Food at Events directly to the City, supported by a Food Registration Certificate, a site plan of the stall/vehicle, and Certificate of Currency for Public Liability. 

It is recommended that Food Vendors obtain a Permit as soon as possible, in preparation for the upcoming event season.  For permit renewals, updated application forms must be submitted to the City by 1 June..

For more information contact the City's Health Services on (08) 9205 8555.

Planning Approval

If your event changes the permitted use of an area, has a commercial aspect (e.g. ticketed event, markets selling goods, fun run with registration fee) or runs over a period of time or a series of consecutive events, you may require a Development Application.  Timeframes for Applications are 132 days (5  months) so please contact the City's Planning Department on (08) 9205 8555 in the first instance to discuss your event. 

Events at Scarborough Beach

The Scarborough Redevelopment was complete in April 2018 and has opened many new spaces and opportunities for event organisers. 

The City is taking expressions of interest for potential event organisers, so if you are interested in running an event, please submit a proposal detailing as much information as possible, to stirling@stirling.wa.gov.au.

The Metropolitan Redevelopment Authority (MRA) has planning control over the area, so for any long term events or series of events (eg. markets) the MRA and will assess the need for a Development Application upon enquiry, please contact the MRA on (08) 6557 0700.  Please note the Development Application timeframe can be up to 90 days.

The City of Stirling will retain event approval and venue hire so please also speak with the City's External Events Officer on (08) 9205 8527T

For general beach booking enquiries please contact beaches@stirling.wa.gov.au or phone (08) 9205 8555. 

Food and Craft Markets

Weekly food and/or craft markets are becoming very popular throughout the City. Regular markets may need a Development Application and may also need Traders Permits for each vendor and Food Approval for all food stalls. Please contact the City's Planning department on (08) 9205 8555 in the first instance, at least 6 months out from your proposed start date, to discuss the requirements.

Buskers and Entertainers

There are several considerations that need to be made with approving buskers and street entertainers.  Please contact the City's Community Safety team on (08) 9205 8555.  Please also ensure you have a minimum $10million Public Liability Insurance prior to enquiring.

Event Funding Available - Cultural Development Fund

The Cultural Deve​lopment Fund aims to provide not-for-profit community organisations with access to funding and in-kind support to assist in the coordination of events and projects within the City of Stirling, that contribute to a vibrant and culturally rich society

Projects and events must directly benefit the City of Stirling community and take place in the City of Stirling.

For more information or to apply for funding visit the Cultural Development Fund page.

Expressions of Interest for the City of Stirling Arts and Events Program 2018

Please note that Expressions of Interest for Summerset Arts Festival and Kids Kerfuffle 2018 have now closed. 

The City of Stirling arts and events program offers a fantastic opportunity to reach a wide and engaged audience, showcase your talents or organisation and align yourself with a reputable brand.

The City is now accepting expressions of interest from artists, entertainers, community organisations and venues with exciting and unique performances, events, projects and spaces to be a part of the City of Stirling arts and events program 2018.

We'd also love to hear from potential sponsors, suppliers and individuals wanting to work or volunteer at the events.

To be considered, all events and activities must be held within the City of Stirling and be of a high quality, inclusive and accessible to the community.

Expressions of Interest are accepted on a rolling basis throughout the year however specific deadlines do exist for specific events. Submit your application today by reviewing the info pack below and by completing the relevant online form.

1. Read: Arts and Events 2018 EOI Info Pack
2. Complete: 2018 EOI for Events Online Form or 2018 Food Vendor EOI Online Form.
3. Email: supporting documentation (if applicable) to the Arts and Activation team here.


For more information on any of the above, please contact the Arts and Activation Team on (08) 9205 8555 or send an email.

Arts & Events E-Newsletter

To receive our regular e-newsletter with information on upcoming events please go to our subscription page.