Tuart Hill Home / Council / Suburbs / Tuart Hill Page ContentTuart Hill was named after the type of eucalyptus trees in the area and contains a rich diversity of housing types and styles. Find out more about Tuart Hill, including residential and community development. History Tuart Hill acquired its name from majestic stands of tuart trees (eucalyptus gomphocephala) that once grew extensively throughout the area. Tuart Hill was part of the original crown grant of 6,020 acres (2,436 hectares) taken by T. R. C. Walters in 1840. In 1872 a road to the settlement of Wanneroo was constructed through the area and the many local tuart trees became a landmark to travellers. In 1905 Walters sold land at Tuart Hill to local developers. Town Properties of Western Australia offered lots in the western portion of the Tuart Hill for sale, however development was relatively slow due to the perceived remoteness of the area. Prior to World War II, much of Tuart Hill was still used for rural purposes. The building of houses began to accelerate after the war and by the 1960s the suburb was fully developed. Residential developmentTuart Hill contains a rich diversity of housing types and styles, ranging from single residential dwellings to villas, terrace houses and flats. The design of housing varies from post-war Austerity dwellings to modern style two-storey developments. While most homes in Tuart Hill are constructed of brick, many timber-framed houses still exist. The majority of the higher density housing has been constructed in more recent years, though there are some flat developments dating from the 1960s. Community developmentCommercial and retail development in Tuart Hill is centred around Wanneroo Road and there are also a number of small corner shops to cater for local daily needs. The locality contains several public and private schools and Tuart College provides adult education for the region. Grenville Reserve and Robinson Reserve are local recreation centres and offer facilities such as full-sized playing fields, lawn bowls and passive recreation areas. Robinson Reserve is located on Royal Street and provides a significant recreational area. Robinson Reserve is also used as the Osborne Park Show Grounds and exhibitions have taken place there since 1914. Osborne Library and Community Centre are on the western boundary of Tuart Hill. The Osborne Park Community Centre opened in July 2001 and is one of the City of Stirling's newest facilities. The centre is ideally located close to transport and Main Street's numerous cafes and restaurants. The centre is fully air conditioned and heated with under-cover security parking that includes 3 disabled bays.