Doubleview Home / Council / Suburbs / Doubleview Page ContentDoubleview was named for its views of both the Indian Ocean and the Darling Ranges, but development was slow until returning World War Two soldiers were given homes in the area. Find out more about Doubleview, including residential and community development. History Doubleview got its name because the suburb offers two extensive views—the Indian Ocean to the west and the Darling Ranges and Perth to the east. One of the first landowners in Doubleview was John Daniel Manning, a dairy farmer who occupied land in 1895 but did not develop it. The northern section of Doubleview was first subdivided in 1910 by Perth real estate agent Charles Edgar Stoneman but land did not sell rapidly and, as street names duplicated those in Perth, many investors were led to believe they were buying in the city centre. Residential developmentIn 1916, developer M. L. Connor subdivided the southern portion of Doubleview, although once again blocks were slow to sell, and developers Dudley and Dwyer acquired the unsold lots in both parts of Doubleview in 1926. While they created the name for the area in an attempt to attract interest, development did not begin to accelerate until the government began providing returned soldiers homes in the northern section of Doubleview after World War Two. Single detached dwellings dominate Doubleview but there are some scattered unit and duplex developments. Much of the area contains post-war housing, a significant proportion of which was constructed by the government, and many of the original dwellings are of timber-frame construction, with more recent developments using brick and tile. Some parts of the southern section of Doubleview contain examples of 1960s and international-style housing. Community development Westfield Innaloo is the nearest major retail outlet, supplemented by older retail strips along Sackville Terrace and Scarborough Beach Road. There are a number of small parks within Doubleview that offer both active and passive recreation, including Bennett Park and John K. Lyon Reserve, while Doubleview Primary School serves the educational needs of younger students in the area. Doubleview also offers spectacular views from Ewen Street and the water tower on Princess Street, which is visible from all parts of the surrounding region.