Dianella Home / Council / Suburbs / Dianella Page ContentDianella is named after a small blue lily that used to be common in the area. Sandy soil hampered growth until the 1960s when housing construction first occurring north from Walter Road and Grand Promenade. Find out more about Dianella, including residential and community development. History Dianella got its name from a small blue lily, known botanically as dianella revolute, a narrow-leafed plant plentiful in the area before residential redevelopment. The land that now forms Dianella was originally distributed to Robert Thomson, George Darby, James Drummond and James Birkett between 1829 and 1930, although early development was slow because the soil was deemed unsuitable for agriculture. Residential developmentMuch of Dianella was subdivided in the 1880s by the Intercolonial Investment Company of Sydney but the sandy soil continued to hamper growth. By 1919, the only development in Dianella was along Walter Road, which was then a track leading to dairy farms in the Morley area. At this time, Dianella consisted of four localities known as North Inglewood, East Yokine, Morley Park and Bedford Park, which were amalgamated to form Dianella in 1958—and a growth boom occurred soon after. Early settlers such as Birkett, Drummond and Drake are honoured in Dianella's street names. Dianella's development progressed rapidly during the boom years of the 1960s with housing construction first occurring north from Walter Road and Grand Promenade. St Andrews and Dress Circle Estates were the last major areas to be developed. The character of housing varies considerably and ranges from modest post-war homes to large, modern 2-storey dwellings. Most houses are single-detached and of brick construction but there are a significant number of duplexes and villas, as well as some older flats in the southern part of Dianella. Community developmentDianella has a number of small parks while a large, regional open space in the heart of the suburb provides a central focus for the community and is an important landmark, providing a significant landscape feature for the suburb.Located at the junction of Alexander and Morley Drives, Dianella Regional Open Space offers opportunities for many kinds of recreation and includes a community recreation centre, soccer field and tennis courts. The suburb's main shopping centre is Dianella Plaza, although several smaller stores also cater for local needs. Education is provided by a number of primary schools and Mirrabooka Senior High School, and the suburb also has a senior citizens centre and public library.Dianella is also home to the 3 commercial television stations operating in Perth, and their studios and associated infrastructure have had a marked impact on the suburb.