Your rates help pay for the many public works projects underway all around the City of Stirling. This page provides answers to frequently asked questions related to rates.

Council rates FAQs

Your rates help pay for the many public works projects underway all around the City of Stirling. Check out this list of frequently asked questions related to rates, or contact us for more information.

Your rates at work

Your rates fund the upkeep and maintenance of the City's billion-dollar investment in infrastructure such as roads, paths, parks and sport grounds, as well as the many community services the City provides, such as our recreation centres, meals on wheels and books on wheels programs, libraries and comprehensive arts and events programs.

Frequently asked questions

Can I make a special payment arrangement with the City?

If you are unable to pay your rates instalments due to financial hardship, you can apply to the City for a special arrangement. An administration charge per property will apply for each special payment arrangement, and penalty interest of 9% per annum will accrue daily on the balance of the overdue account, until it is fully paid.

What should I do if I change my address?

Please advise us promptly in writing of any changes in your address. There is an obligation for property owners to ensure that the City has the correct address for service of notices.

What should I do if I just sold my property?

Under the provisions of the Local Government Act, when a person (whether as a principal or as an agent) sells or disposes of land, the owner/agent must advise the City in writing within 21 days of the change in ownership, giving full details of the purchaser.

How are my rates calculated?

Rates are calculated by multiplying a property's Gross Rental Value (GRV) by the rate in the dollar set by the City Council, subject to a minimum payment which is set each year by the Council.

Gross Rental Value (GRV) is the fair rental value of your property, as determined by the Valuer General's Office (part of Landgate), and is an estimate of how much you could expect to receive if you were to rent your property.

Can I appeal my property's valuation?

If you feel that the valuation applied to your property is incorrect, you can lodge an objection with Landgate's Valuer General's Office within 60 days of the issue of your Rates Notice. For further information please contact the Valuer General's Office on (08) 9273 7373.

Do I pay GST on my rates assessment?

GST is not payable on your rates assessment.

What is a Pool Inspection Fee?

Pool owners are advised that State Government legislation requires all private swimming pool enclosures to be inspected at least every 4 years.

The City's fee for this service will be charged at AU$30.00 per annum (GST exempt) for each registered pool enclosure. This annual fee is designed to recover the cost of all inspections over a 4-year inspection cycle.

All pool owners are encouraged to properly maintain their pool enclosures in the interests of safety.

Who is eligible for a concession?

Concessions apply to current rates and emergency services levy, but not to rubbish collection and other charges, which must be paid in full by the due date shown on this notice.

Eligibility provisions for any person seeking to register for rates concessions are:

  • Must be an owner AND occupier of rateable property at 1 July or earlier
  • If a pensioner, either:
    Must receive a pension AND hold a current Pensioner Concession Card or State Concession Card
    Hold both a Seniors Card issued by the Office of Seniors Interests AND a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card
  • If a senior, hold a Seniors Card issued by the Office of Seniors Interests.

Seniors who meet the eligibility criteria are entitled to claim a rebate of up to 25%, subject to a maximum amount. The option of deferment is not available.

If you are not registered as an eligible pensioner or senior, and feel that you may be eligible, please contact the City's rates section immediately. A pro-rata rebate may be available from the date of registration to pensioners and seniors who become eligible after 1 July.

If your circumstances change—particularly with respect to your ownership or occupation of the property, or your eligibility as a pensioner or senior—you MUST give notice immediately to the Council so that the registration may be amended or cancelled.