Find out about health and environment issues and requirements related to planning and development in the City of Stirling. Information on acid sulfate soils, asbestos, food premises, noise, pollution and sustainable building design is available here.

Acid sulfate soils

Acid sulfate soils are naturally occurring soils containing iron sulfides, which are typically formed in organic waterlogged soils and sediments (such as peat). Exposure to air causes these sulfides to oxidise and produce sulfuric acid. This acid can then release heavy metals (including, arsenic, aluminium, iron and other metals) and nutrients from the soil profile. These contaminants released from the soils can cause significant environmental harm and economic problems such as degradation of the natural environment, loss of land productivity and damage to infrastructure.

Where development applications are submitted for sites identified as containing acid sulfate soils, the City of Stirling may request the applicant submit an Acid Sulfate Soils Applicant Self-Assessment Form (available on the Department of Environment Regulation website).
You can download the form and obtain more detailed information about acid sulfate soils from the Department of Environment Regulation website.

Sustainable building design

The Western Australian Government is encouraging a shift towards more environmentally responsive housing to help reduce energy and water consumption.

The State Government is giving consideration to a development tool that will help to achieve these reductions. The tool is a modified version of the Building Sustainability Index tool (BASIX) that was developed in New South Wales.
A trial of the tool is proposed for residential development within the Perth Metropolitan Area.
For further details please contact the Department of Planning.


In Australia, asbestos cement materials were commonly used in the manufacture of residential building materials from the mid-1940s until the late 1980s. During the 1980s asbestos cement materials were phased out in favour of asbestos-free products.

Undisturbed asbestos cement products do not pose a health risk, as the fibres are bound together in a solid cement matrix. It is only when they are damaged or disturbed that fibres may be released.

Please refer to Asbestos – a guide for householders and the general public for information on asbestos in and around your home.

If you have concerns over how someone is handling asbestos material or the illegal dumping of asbestos material please contact the City's Environmental Health Business Unit on 9205 8555 to discuss further.

For information about asbestos in the workplace, approved asbestos removalists or appropriate handling of asbestos including safety wear, contact: WorkSafe (WA Department of Commerce) Phone: 1300 307 877.

Frequently Asked Questions About Asbestos

I am unsure if my house has any asbestos in it, how do I find out?

Please refer to Asbestos – a guide for householders and the general public. This contains information such as when and where asbestos was used, identifying and dealing with asbestos in your home.

To have a sample of material tested check the Yellow Pages under "Chemists- Consulting &/or Industrial". Ensure the laboratory is accredited with the National Association of Testing Laboratories (NATA). Phone: 08 9486 2800.

If in doubt and you do not wish to have the material tested and it was installed prior to 1988 then treat the material as though it does contain asbestos.

The asbestos fence I share with a neighbour is old and has a few holes, what can I do?

The costs and arrangements for removal, repair or replacement of fencing must be negotiated with the adjoining land owner as a civil matter, in reference to the Dividing Fences Act 1961. A guide to the Act is available as a PDF below.

Asbestos is being removed in the house next door, do they need to inform me before they commence?

They are not required by law to inform you.

Do you require a licence to remove asbestos?

Businesses contracted to remove greater than 10 square metres of asbestos are required by WorkSafe WA to hold an asbestos removal licence. WorkSafe unrestricted asbestos licence holders can be found here. WorkSafe (WA Department of Commerce) can be contacted on Phone: 1300 307 877.

Asbestos a guide for householders and the general public

Carpet Underlay FAQ

Asbestos Disposal Information Sheet

Asbestos who do you call

ACM Contamination of Soil Brochure - DoH

Dividing Fences Guide

Visit the 'Forms, fees and information sheets' web page for information on:

  • Asbestos assessment
  • Health services
  • Food services and premises
  • Noise
  • Environmental pollution.